While nutritional needs vary from horse to horse depending on age, work, availability of quality forage, etc., there are some dietary constants. Chia seeds are one of the few supplemental foods that are appropriate for every stage and age of a horse’s life. StableFeed's products provide supplemental nutrition that feeds like a treat.
Chia seeds are a good source of calcium
, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, and copper.
Chia seeds contain the amino acids lysine, threonine and methionine. Without these amino acids, absorption of nutrition is extremely limited.
Chia seeds are known to lower circulating insulin and glucose, so they are great for insulin-resistant horses and horses with metabolic disorders.
Because of their anti-inflammatory properties, chia seeds help protect joints and ligaments and may help reduce pain. The highly digestible protein offers muscle repair and can assist with topline development.
The magnesium levels in chia seeds provide a natural calming effect, and according to the USEF, “chia is permitted under the Therapeutic Substance Provision of the USEF Equine Drugs and Medications Rule. A medication report form does not need to be filed in connection on its use.”
Chia clears debris out of the horse’s gut naturally to help regulate stool movement. This tiny seed is more hydrophilic than psyllium, so it clears sand and other debris more effectively than psyllium products.
Because they are chock full of Omega-3’s, chia seeds help boost immune function. High concentrations of alpha-linolenic acid reduce swelling and aid in providing relief from a variety of allergic reactions caused by environmental stressors.
Not to mention, chia...
- Is highly palatable and easy-to-digest
- Provides high quality protein source
- Is rich in vitamins and minerals
- Provides 3:1 Omega-3’s
- Is rich in amino acids, flavonoids, and antioxidants
- Is hydrophilic to support proper hydration and electrolyte balance
- Is low in sugar, starch and sodium
- Supports healthy skin and hair
- Promotes gut sweeping action in sandy conditions
- Promotes proper digestion of carbohydrates
- Supports healthy immune function
- Supports gastric health with a buffering effect
- Supports healthy glucose levels
- Is suitable for Cushings and IR horses
- Supports healthy hormone regulation
- Supports healthy bone growth
- Supports cell wall integrity
- Requires no processing to feed
- Is pesticide and chemical free
- Has a long shelf-life
- Is non-GMO
In short, there is not a part of a horse that cannot be improved with the feeding of chia seeds. Click here
to read more about the benefits of chia in Juliet Getty's article, "Nature's Tiny Miracle".