Ingredient Spotlight: Brewer's Yeast
Brewers yeast is an excellent source of protein and is our choice for an alternative to the synthetic or coal tar derivative B vitamins found in today’s equine supplements and feed. The B-complex vitamins in brewer's yeast include B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), and H or B7 (biotin).
The role of B vitamins in the body
B Vitamins help break down carbohydrates, fats, and proteins to provide the body with energy. Brewers yeast is also an excellent source of essential amino acids and chromium, an essential trace mineral that helps the body maintain normal blood sugar levels.
Brewer's yeast in our feed
StableFeed includes brewer's yeast in our Seasons blend feed pellet to support hoof health, but poor quality hoof horn may be a sign of other nutritional deficits that occur in a horse that:
- Is on a high grain or low forage diet
- Is in high stress situations or very hard and consistent work
- Exhibits a reduced appetite and an inability to maintain weight
- Is on a broad spectrum antibiotic where the microbiome may be compromised
- Is very young and has an incomplete microbiome (hind gut flora)
- Is elderly and has reduced digestive capabilities